Saturday, June 26, 2010

Why do dogs yawn when you look them in the eye?

eye-to-eye contact is a sign of aggression.





your dog is saying---you don't scare me none...Why do dogs yawn when you look them in the eye?
Yawning is a sign of stress in a dog. It can also be a 'calming signal' to indicate they mean no harm.Why do dogs yawn when you look them in the eye?
I dont know, I have never had a dog do that to me.


But my dog will sneeze anytime you give him a kiss. And he shakes, like a wet dog, untill his back feet lift off the ground anytime you give him a hug.


Its real funny
Never heard of that...maybe boredom?? or maybe he is hiding something...lol
Because they don't unyawn when I look them in the eye?
It's a sign of submission. They do see a stare as threatening and are telling you with the yawn.. Yes I understand you are the master. I mean no harm.


This is incidently are why so many children are bitten by dogs. Kids are often amused by dogs and will stare at them. If you have ever seen dogs get into a fight there is major staring going on before the lunge and fight ensues.


Teaching your children to not ever intently stare into the eyes of a dog they do not know is a smart idea.
In Canine Ethology, things like yawns and looking away are ways your dog lets you know he is submissive. If one has a fearful dog, for example, leaning over him and staring at him would be threatening. But, yawning and looking away would tell him that you are no threat. I've used this technique a number of times and it is quite successful.





Cindi G.


Pet Trainer
They don't normally, but your dog is obviously extremely bored with your eye-to-eye contact games.
My pug yawns EVERYTIME I'm talking to him and giving him lovin's.
It's a sign of submission. They feel threatened. Also, I have been told when they do the little stretch / bow thing towards you, it is a sign of submission and they usually only do it towards the person / people that feed them.
Cause dogs can't talk, so they use their eyes, and body language as well as barking to communicate thoughts, feelings, etc.


Looking them in the eye is an aggressive thing, especially if you are staring at them like that.





Dogs yawn when they are stressed, You are making him feel stressed because he isn't getting why you are sitting there staring at him. He isn't sure if you are being aggressive or what your deal is.
I love your question - it made me smile .I think it's probably just a coincidence. There is no scientific connection between eye contact and yawning.
Actually, a dog yawns more out of nervousness than anything. You are making your dog nervous with the eye contact. Quit having staring contests with your dog, you are only bullying him as far as he is concerned. This causes nervousness, which will lead to other issues.
He may think you are being aggressive and perhaps yawning is his way of saying he doesn't want to fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin color